Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Science of Midlife Crises Rockets



This week, someone called me a “writer”, just said it in a sentence, like it was a fact. The conversation continued swiftly on, but that word, “writer”, just hung there in the room, foreign and intimidating. I couldn’t avoid it. “Are you going to take me in? Are you going to push me aside? Throw me away?  Absorb me?”  I decided to put it in my pocket and take it home, to be placed in a drawer for later. I’ve set it there, alongside my rocket science notes, molecular engineering research, Solve Mysteries of the Universe Handbook, that scribbled note from 1993 I can’t quite decipher, some spare change and the instructions on How to Make the Perfect Souffle. Am I a writer? I don’t know. I don’t think so. I think I am just a girl. And, I don’t really know what that means either, to be just a girl . I’m hoping to find out.


So, I guess this is my journey… 
Space Shuttle Endeavour lifts-off from the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, Fla.  .  John Raoux/AP
  • It’s not about what I know or how great I am
  • It’s about how I don’t know anything and I’m not great at all.
  • It’s about how I make a LOT of mistakes. So, so many.
  • It’s about how I don’t know what I’m doing.
  • It’s about fear and wondering and failing and going on.
  • It’s about messing up and not knowing what to do next.
  • It’s about falling down. It’s about getting up.
  • It’s about how I had Tootsie Rolls for breakfast, but my microwave is clean.
  • It’s about how I say things like “anything” and "everything" and “never” and “always”, but I really shouldn’t, because they aren’t usually accurate or fair.
  • It’s about self-esteem and lack of it.
  • It’s about how I didn’t brush my hair today and my mom would be so distraught about that. It’s about how I have, historically, rarely brushed my hair and my mom has always been so distraught about that.
  • It’s about how I don’t know anything about photography, but I used to carry my camera and take pictures anyway.
  • It’s about what I’ve forgotten and what I never knew. It’s about remembering and learning.
  • It’s about having gotten so wrapped up in life that I forgot to live.
  • It’s about not knowing.
  • It’s about doing.
  • It’s about trying.
  • It’s about being. Fully present, aware
  • It’s about truth and being scared.
  • It is risk and permission to fail.


It is Rocket Science 101.



Because  life is funny.
In a what the Hell is in my drink kind of way.
(Seriously, man, is that a finger?)

----------------------------------------------------Welcome to my mid life crisis.

this post is about letting go of perfectionism, because I didn’t have time to edit it. weee

8 comments:

  1. Nobody really knows what they're doing; we're all just faking it. Shhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sort of terrifying and comforting all at once! :)

      Delete
  2. It's more about the getting up than the falling down, but nobody tells us that.
    Great post!!
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tanya!

      True, true, true.. So true! :)
      I think we just tend to focus on the falling down. That's the part we remember.
      "What happened?" / "I fell down!!"
      We don't remember to recognize the getting up part.
      I think I will work on that.

      Delete
  3. Writer. I will call you that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it's about giving yourself permission to care about you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle,
      Yes! THAT is a super tricky one. Major, major issue to overcome. SELFISH is a scary word.

      Delete