Friday, January 7, 2011

I POST NEW YEAR'S BLOGS ON JANUARY 7TH


I don't make New Year's Resolutions.

I never have. I've always subscribed to the Janis Joplin theory: "It's all the same fucking day, man." Now, don't get me wrong. I am an eternal optimist, but a day is a day is a day.

The Romans and Julius Caesar and Pope Gregory XIII and Greek scholars and Christians and Moon Watchers and people who just wanted winter to stay put in the same three months every year created a fabulous tool for keeping track of our days and our progress in life. We set goals by our calendar. In the end though, the date is arbitrary.

It's just spinning. One rotation on the Earth's axis and Monday is spun. Spin the Earth all the way around the sun and, baby, you've made it through another year. You've accomplished something. Spinning little circles into a bigger circle. Spinning, spinning, spun.

The theory, a day is a day is a day, can be a beautiful thing: Live each day to the fullest! Make every day count! Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today! yes, yes, YES! However, it can also lead to Joe Versus the Volcano doldrums. E v e r y day is just like the next. Dreary, gray, "brain cloud" hopeless. "It's all the same fucking day, man."

Hmmmm...

We are on a merry go round and naming the next whirling rotation, "January", isn't going to change anything. But, perhaps the fact that we made it around the sun full circle is a reason to say: hey, THIS go around, I'm not holding on. THIS time, I'm going to sit in the middle, hang off the edge, stand on one foot. It's exhilarating, even if you do have to grab the bar or are flung into the dirt.


"Good resolutions are simply checks that men draw on a bank where they have no account." ~Oscar Wilde


We are spinning on our axis still, again.
again.
another spin of the wheel, another chance, a new turn
I have no account. But, this time around, I will resolve to not remain static.

No comments:

Post a Comment